Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Angel Standing By

There are sayings and cliches everywhere that tell you to appreciate each day and live like you're not waking up tomorrow, but I have to admit, I rarely do that. Most of us - and I am no exception - assume we've got loads of time left here and therefore don't need to think about things like death or illness.

Yesterday my brother-in-law was in a car accident in Iowa due to the awful road conditions. He flipped his truck three times, and crawled away without even a scrape. When he called his Nicole (his wife) to tell her the story, she was obviously overwhelmed to even be talking to Josh after such a horrific accident. I talk to Brad probably 18 times a day (he can't stand that I call that often, but tough) and I always assume that when I the number, Brad's voice will be waiting on the other end. I can't imagine what it would be like to one day not have his voice waiting for me on the other end of that telephone line. No, this doesn't mean I'm going to start calling him 28 times a day to make sure he's alive (although I probably would if he'd let me), but I do intend to start being more appreciative of the time I have here and the people I have in my life.

Josh certainly had an angel watching over him yesterday morning, and I am so thankful to not be writing about visiting my brother-in-law in the hospital. There are so many accidents that do not end as luckily as Josh's did. A totaled truck and a call to the insurance company seem like a very small price to pay in exchange for Josh's well being.

I guess I'm done waxing philosophic. Have a good Tuesday and be careful. Surprise someone you love with a phone call or email just to remind them you love them...Valentine's Day may be over, but the idea behind it should last all year.

No comments: