Monday, July 21, 2008

doctors know zilch.

After three days of a headache behind my eyes, I broke down and went to the doctor today. Why I will never know. My doctor with the big PhD on her wall and gigantic 3.5 carat diamond on her finger had not one clue as to what was going on with my head. She scratched hers an awful lot, though. I suggested that perhaps because I ran out of birth control while sick and was unable to go get my prescription, the lack of hormones my body is used to getting is causing a headache. After hearing my guess, she cocked her head, looked at me and said, "You know, your body might be reacting to the lack of estrogen that it is accustomed to getting." Give this woman a medal of honor! She's making miracles in that doctor's office!!!

In the end, I accepted a shot in the derriere (that did not work for more than an hour) and went on my way. So let's recap: I paid $20 for a visit to the doctor that informed me of nothing new, only that from now on I'm sticking to self-diagnosis. I still have my headache, I'm still finding it difficult to work with blinding shots of pain through my eyes and my bank account is emptier than before. What a way to start the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better now, Kim. It was good that your Mom was able to stay with you and give you some "poor baby"'s last week.

As you found out, doctors don't know everything. That's why they call it "a medical practice".

Aunt Joy