Monday, August 4, 2008

boys, toys, movies and managers

This was a big weekend for Brad. Friday afternoon we drove to his Dad's house to pick up the new bike. When we pulled into the driveway, it was like Christmas morning. Brad was glowing as he walked up to the motorcycle, so thrilled to finally be seeing it in person. After doing a thorough once-over on the body, he hopped on the seat and was on the road for a quick "around the block" drive, beaming the whole way. I think he would have driven it all the way home if I had let him. Without a license or tags, though, that would have been a pretty dangerous gamble. So, the guys carefully loaded the bike into the truck (we're switching cars with Bill for the week) and went on our merry way. Brad's anniversary present is now home, tucked into the garage and just itching for Brad to get licensed and take her on a ride. We're still not sure what to name her. I'm going for Shirley, as in "Surely he isn't going to take Shirley for a ride every day?" Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm so glad that Brad's anniversary present has made it home...but what about mine? That's a whole other ball of wax. If you'll remember a few posts back, I shared that Brad bought me the anniversary side of my ring. I was beside myself with happiness when I got it, and bummed that it was a bit too large. We ordered the correctly sized ring and the manager looked me in the eye and said, "Two weeks and the new ring should be here." A blind man could see where this is going...

It has now been three weeks, and yesterday afternoon we took a trip over to Helzberg's on our way to the new Batman film (more on that later). I asked the smarmy manager whom we reluctantly purchased the ring from to please look up our order and determine why the ring had not arrived. He looked me up and down, tsk'd lightly and consulted his computer. Then he expertly wrung his fingers together in seemingly deep frustration and with a (practiced) bewildered look on his face said, "The ring is expected to arrive on September 1st." Cue the "Psycho" music.

Feeling Brad tense up (more because he was afraid of what I would do to this man than about the ring), I replied, "When were we going to receive a phone call explaining that the ring would be this late?" The manager stuck to his "Lost in Space" face and said, "The average time for an ordered ring is 2-8 weeks." Really? That's like a doctor telling me I could die anywhere from 28-97. I was clearly reaching my boiling point and told the gentlemen that it was preposterous for the ring to take this long when he himself had told us 2 weeks maximum. His response? A shoulder shrug and a flat, "Would you like to cancel the order?" Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I want to not receive the gorgeous matching anniversary band that my husband bought me out of the goodness of his heart.

I expressed my disappointment (quite calmly I must say) in the situation and we headed for the movie theatre. Not 20 minutes later, while I was in the bathroom, Brad received a call from the Helzberg's manager. He expressed his "sincere" apologies and said he would call first thing Monday to see if he might speed up the process. I find it amusing that this man chose to call Brad's phone considering that "Kim's Cell" is listed as the main contact number. There's a phrase for this manager's tactics. It starts with "chicken" and ends with "shit".
So that's the ring debacle. Otherwise, we had a great weekend. The new Batman film was in a word: amazing. I know there's lots of talk that Heath Ledger will receive an Oscar for his performance, and I guess I'm okay with that. But more than anything, I just really liked the movie. In my opinion, Michael Cane is really the cream of the entire cast crop. He plays Alfred so well and is one of the most likable actors I've ever watched.
Anyways, below are pics of Brad and Shirley. I'm calling her that until he comes up with something better...
Getting aquainted...

Talking softly...



off we go!



A happy boy and his long-awaited toy.



1 comment:

erin said...

i'm glad he is happy with his toy. because i gotta say, i'm nervous with you! not that i don't trust him, i don't trust the other 385930573 crazy people on the same roads!