Tuesday, August 5, 2008

tummy bug

Oy. Right when we thought we were done with being sick (headaches, fever, etc.), Brad and I both got nailed with the stomach flu yesterday. Neither of us is feeling on top of our game today, and we both literally slept for 16 hours yesterday. Brad returned to work this morning and I'll be making a few calls to clients as well, but if I can avoid passing this on to anyone else, I'm going to. This is without a doubt the "sickest" summer I've endured for a long time. Make sure to take your vitamins so you don't end up with the same thing.

So yesterday I got a call from someone at Helzberg's, explaining that my ring is taking so long because it's a very small size and has to be recast. I totally get that. Look, creating custom jewelry takes time. Duh. That's not where I have a problem. What bothers me is that the gentlemen who sold us the ring said it wouldn't take any longer than 2 weeks. How difficult would it be to say that it could take as long as 4 times that, just so the customer doesn't have false hope?

Trust me, I'm not expecting anything I wouldn't expect of myself. I work in sales and always allow a cushion of time for delivery, so as not to disappoint any of my clients and to protect myself from looking like a liar. Besides, it doesn't benefit the customer to tell them what you think they want to hear. Secondly, anyone can make a mistake about a delivery date. However, when I make a mistake and disappoint someone, I certainly don't talk down to them and ask if they wish to cancel their sale. What a rotten way to do business. In addition, this particular salesman is working nearly every time we go in, and he constantly has a haughty attitude. He looks at us as though we are beneath him (which is hilarious considering we've given him a sale twice in one year) and is probably one of the pushiest salesman I've ever encountered.

Let me further clarify that I have no problem with Helzberg's as a company. They're based out of KC and I think their jewelry is beautiful. Maybe it's just this one particular gentlemen who needs to rethink how he treats his customers. What I do know is that when my rings sautered, that business will go straight to the House of Diamonds. They custom built my engagement ring and gave Brad exactly what they promised. They are kind, courteous and most importantly bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied. That type of attitude pays off.

All right, enough preaching for today. Clearly I got on a tangent and couldn't get off of it. But, being negative never makes my day better, so I'm on to the positive. At least I can eat without heading straight to the bathroom like yesterday. That's worth its weight in 18 karat white gold.

2 comments:

erin said...

I can't wait to see it!!!

phat bess said...

Your anniversary band sure has had a lot of drama surrounding it. :) I bet it'll be amazing, can't wait to see the pics when you get it.