Friday, November 7, 2008

don't mess with texas

Ciao for the weekend, bloggies!

Hubs and I are headed out on an 8 hour road trip to Dallas, TX until Tuesday. We're going half for business (Monday I've got a work meeting. Whee.) and half for ungodly amounts of shopping pleasure. Huzzah huzzah!

My bestie recently moved from beautiful Kansas City to Dallas for her hub's residency. (I know, how awesomely selfless is she?) Although Dallas will never be as cool as KC, it does have its perks. They are:
  • Coach Outlets
  • Awesome weather
  • IKEA
  • IKEA
  • IKEA
  • IKEA

Clearly you can see where my priorities are.

It should be an enormously entertaining time when we get there. But first... we have to get there.

Eight hours. In the car with hubs. That's 13 days in my world. Let me explain.

Long drives with two people is very different than driving by yourself. I've made 10 hour road trips alone before. Easy peesy lemon squeezy. I can listen to and scream "All By Myself" on repeat and no one gets offended or annoyed. Concentrating on the road and getting lost in your thoughts is like therapy on a loner road trip.

Throw in a second body, and you may have problems.

For example, I love to read in the car. Hubs always insists on driving, so 9 times out of 10, that means I can read. I get lost in my book (which will undoubtedly be 'Twilight' for the 8th time) and time flies. I could go 12 hours in a car and it would feel like the blink of an eye if I could read the whole time.

Unfortunately, hubs interprets my silent reading to mean that I'm not interested in speaking to him.

Not true.

I love to talk to hubs. We've had 3 hour discussions in the car befrore. And I adore that. But it has to be an interesting topic.

(Like what we want to buy at IKEA when we get there. Or when we can start making babies.)

However, I do not consider listening to hubs belt out Tribe Called Quest's "Butter" a conversation. Even when he pauses long enough to say,

"Sing, baby. You know this song by now."

Those are words,yes. But not a conversation. This is someone (whom I love more than anything) telling me to sing a song that I could easily listen to as background music while I READ MY BOOK.

Hubs and I have had many disagreements over appropriate road trip music in the past. I think long drives in the car should be endured while listening to Billy Joel, Muse, Jack's Mannequin, 90's alternative or really awesomely bad 80's.

And show tunes.

Hubs wants to hear Ice Cube, Lil' Wayne, Kanye West, NWA, Outkast, Snoop and, of course, Tribe Called Quest. Fine and all...but for driving?

Ehhhhhh....

The only road music we 100% agree on is Dave Matthew's Band. We both equally love Dave's soothing voice and amazing lyrics. We even hold hands and car dance to "2 Step". How cute is that?

So, I vote that we compromise and put in as many discs of Dave as humanly possible for the drive down. Hubs can sing the songs as loudly as he wants without upsetting me.

And I can read my book.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot Eminem. And for the record: the driver gets to pick. :-) Everyone agrees to that, huh?!

-G. B Rad

Adriana said...

Ahh, IKEA. My husband refuses to step foot in that store EVER again. We spend six hours in that store (he had no idea what we were in for) picking out new furniture for our kids' room. We went for toy storage and came out with a new set of bunk beds, toy storage, a rug, 2 lamps, a chair, and two kitchen islands. We have a full size pick up and it all almost didn't fit. Not to mention the hours of joy putting it all together when we got home. I heart IKEA.

Judith said...

Have fun! I'm jealous you get to do an Ikea run (even though I was just there when I went up to Portland....ahh!). Good luck with the music situation in le car....it's always a tough one for us too, but luckily we don't do car trips together. It would be madness I tell you, sheer madness.

Anonymous said...

There's an IKEA just 5 miles from Aunt Judy's house and Brad has 2 more aunts who live within 15 miles.

It would mean a LONG driving trip but you can use my house like a hotel and party at night and shop all day.

Keep me in mind for a vacation. If you come in the summer - I've got a pool. You could even bring the girls (they need to get to know more family!) and we can babysit while you go out at night!

Love, Joy