Monday, November 3, 2008

they don't make 'em like they used to

Wait...was this weekend Halloween? Friday was 76 degrees and beautiful, so does it really count?

Halloween is supposed to be dramatic. Trust me, I know. My childhood Halloween-time memories are mostly my Mom slaving for weeks over a sewing machine and crying out things like, "I certainly hope you appreciate what I do for you so you can be unique on Halloween and impress your friends!"

Inevitably, the big night would arrive...along with below zero temperatures and sleet. Mom would (lovingly) shove me in a 12 pound winter coat, squinching and squeezing in inches upon inches of her fabric creation, praying it wouldn't get stuck in the coat zipper. So basically my costume was never seen to the outside world. Keeping pneumonia away was more important.

But it didn't matter. Because Halloween was the only night of the year I was allowed to wear lipstick.

Awesome.

The greatest thing about this Halloween was that we had the girls! This was the first time we've ever had them on the actual night of Halloween, so it was fantastic to go along and watch them trick-or-treat. After two solid hours of ringing doorbells and being told they were "just so adorable", it was time to pack it in and check out the loot.

Oh my God. The amount of candy these kids came home with.

As a young trick-or-treater, I remember hearing, "just take one piece" at almost every house. And the candy selection varied from this crap to this even worse crap. I can't even count how many times I was tempted to say, "I'll just take a hug. Thanks so much."

But times have changed. On Friday, young people (I emphasize young. We know what the kiddies want.) all over the neighborhood opened their front doors with 5 gallon buckets of the good stuff. They smiled at our girls and said, "Just take whatever you want." And when the girls were finished, they heard, "You can take a few more."

WHAT? WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I WAS EIGHT??

The kids came home with items such as:
  • Full sized Starburst pack
  • Full sized Butterfinger pack
  • 18 handfuls of Kit Kat''s...from one house
  • Snickers
  • Milky Way's
  • 3 Musketeer's

Half of the candy I came home with as a kid I didn't even want! I used to beg my brother to give me one Kit Kat in exchange for 459028309384 pieces of Dubble Bubble. I had to pray he was stupid enough to take me up on it.

But I must say, if adults have finally caught on to what Halloween is all about (cavities and stomach aches) then I certainly can't complain. Our girls can have the Halloween's that I always wanted. Besides, isn't that what being a parent is all about? Wanting your kids to have it better than you did?

It's totally okay to be just the teeniest bit jealous.

And steal some of their candy after they go to sleep.


A pretty witch and Sharpay from HSM. Precious.

"I'll get you, my pretty. Because I'm pretty, too!"





I am sooo not ready for the hair dye phase yet. Thankfully, Kayla did not like herself as a blonde.




Ready for candy.



Loot, loot, loot.

4 comments:

Dolce said...

They are so adorable!!! I grew up in Wisconsin, so I empathize with the winter coat under then halloween costume. If I knew any better I should have gone as a stuffed sausage.

I always looked the part.

kim said...

Now THERE'S an idea. A sausage. Why didn't I think of that earlier?

erin said...

I could use some of that candy right now!

Judith said...

First off, let me say how happy I am to see the word 'squinched' in print. I'm glad our college days of making things up as we go has paid off!

Secondly, the girls were so cute!

Thirdly, holy crap, they got a lot of candy. My stomach is doing jittery flips just thinking about the sugar rush emanating from their piles of chocolately loot!