Friday, February 6, 2009

almost famous


Please disregard my fabulous news from yesterday. My lifelong dream of creating a Hallmark card is not going to happen after all. At least not this time.

No, Hallmark did not back out. (They're way too awesome for that.)

No, I did not back out. (As if I ever in a million years would!)

Something else happened that I did not ever think to even consider. I'm upset, I'm angry, I'm hurt and yes, I'm blogging about it.

It's times like these that I wish I had an anonymous blog so I could rant and rave about these things and get it off my chest without anyone being the wiser. Kind of like Tova and her blog.

I'm not going to go into all the details of what happened, mainly because I have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't want someone airing dirty laundry of mine. But...I think it's perfectly legit to say that I'm mad.

(I mean, I have no problem sharing when my Mom pisses me off, so why not other people?)

The thing is, this whole contest with Hallmark is like...my dream. When I was a kid, I wanted to do three things with my life.

1) Write a novel
2) Work for Hallmark cards
3) Become a gas station attendant

Number one on the list is very difficult to achieve, and requires a lot of time management. Which I suck at.

Number three is, let's be honest, just freaking ridiculous. Clearly.

Number two was probably even less likely to happen than number one, but this contest gave me an opportunity to at least say I did this great thing once upon a time.

And I could be really, really proud of myself.

(I don't get proud of me often, so it was a nice feeling.)

(While it lasted.)

So now I'm stuck with this sick feeling in my stomach. I had to email Hallmark this morning and withdraw my entry.

Last night as I lay in bed, totally unable to sleep, I started thinking.

Am I really going to let this get the best of me?

(I've asked myself this question in other situations, and sometimes the answer truly is "yes". There are some things I just cannot let go.)

But my answer to the question last night was "no." I can't let this setback set me back.

Out of all those contest entries, Hallmark picked me as one of their faves. That says something. I'm sure this isn't the last contest they'll ever have. I was funny enough to get my card selected this time, I can be funny again, yes?

Rejection happens. Sometimes when we least expect it, and for the dumbest reasons we could ever imagine. But it happens.

I am choosing not to let this ruin my week.

(Although yes, it did ruin my day yesterday.)

I am going to continue to enter contests with my "future employer" (that's called a self-fulfilling prophecy) and continue to do what I love to do. Write.

I'm still bummed, I'm still upset, but I will have to find a way to get over it. Dwelling is not going to make anything better. I was wronged, but I should probably get used to it. It will surely happen again someday in some other way.

So, my dear bloggies, you will not see my funny card this summer. It will remain locked in my brain and I will laugh at it in my head for years to come.

And no one can take that away from me.

PS- to all of you that left your comments on yesterday's post telling me that you would buy my card, thank you! You are all so awesome and I'm glad that you support me. Hopefully someday soon we can do it again.

18 comments:

Steph said...

I'm sorry sweets! I wish I knew what happened! Keep your head up, and I love you, have a good weekend!

Quarter Lifer said...

um. i am floored. SPEECHLESS. See Erin for more details.

erin said...

Since I don't really know the reasons, I can't really give my two cents.

However, I will tell you that in your life, obstacles will stand in your way of your dreams, for whatever reasons. That may be processes, rules, people or events.

You can't let them get you down - keep on being your creative genius self and maybe next time, the reward will be even bigger!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I am too upset!! You used a photo of our daughter without our permission or asking how we felt about it. I am sorry that you feel cheated by Brent and I but we do not want our daughters photo on a card for anyone to see, it is something we consider private to us!!! Next time ask before and then you wont have this problem. I am also upset because of this the whole family is arguing and disagreeing!!! Brent and I should never been put in this position in the first place, for everyone to be upset with us is unfair, if approached in the first place we could have said no then!!! We do support you and your dreams, but here you were in the wrong! I hope this whole "deal and drama" can be dropped because we are and will always be family!!!!
Missie

BJMAR13 said...

Kim, just take it in stride. I know this may be too little too late, but, if you were allowed to copy or were given the photo and you used it, then (as far as I can see) legally, then there is no criminal element to it.

The right to privacy was waived when the photo was either given, or posted on the internet.

I don't know if that helps or hurts, but it's something you might want to know.

I'll run it by one of the instructors here who works as a prosecuting attorney to let you know for sure though.

Anonymous said...

Just to let everyone know, the photo was neither given or posted on the internet!!!!! It was taken by Kim at a private family christmas gathering which is why Hallmark needed the parents to sign that it was ok! And according to the police it is illegal to use without parent consent forms signed!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am curious to know what the joke on the card was to spark such tension and actual discussion over the use of an innocent picture. Did the joke say, "for a good time, please call this infant?" I am guessing probably not.

It's too bad - I bet the girl would be very excited to brag about this to her friends years from now.

Regardless, don't let this get you down - you are very talented and your time will come again :)

Anonymous said...

Based on what I can currently gather, I have a serious problem here. As a mother AND an advertiser.

"Just to let everyone know, the photo was neither given or posted on the internet!!!!!"

So you are telling me you have zero pictures of your child on the internet? No family pictures on blogs, Facebook, or heck, even this blog? With her name included even?

"It was taken by Kim at a private family christmas gathering..."

Exactly. Kim took the picture. If you had a problem with it possibly ending up online, in a card or even framed on her mantle, you should've said "no pictures please".

If the picture had her full name on it, okay, yes. If it's just a cute face, anybody should be flattered to have their child appear on a card, especially designed by a family member.

If you truly believe in keeping full privacy of your child, then you need to stick to that philosophy and remove any and all pictures of your child online. Guarantee you have many more viewers online than you ever would purchasing a Hallmark card.

I think maybe you should step back and assess the word flattered.

Let's think hard about this and the real reasons you are saying no.

Anonymous said...

Kim...okay, you can use my picture. I would DIE to be on A HALLMARK CARD!!! HOW COOL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope these parents don't happen to have photos of their children online--blogs, facebook, myspace--they're all places where people can peer into your life and family without your consent. That's where the sickos are, not in Hallmark stores. The hipocracy is definitely something to think about before getting all worked up about an anonymous photo used on a comic birthday card. I think most people would be happy to have something like that to brag about.

Don't get discouraged, you have some amazing talent....even if others are too uptight or jealous to let you (and not to mention their child!) have your moment in the sun.

Anonymous said...

Kim, why don't you find a cuter photo of a child who's parents would be willing to have something to be proud of? Maybe Hallmark will let you resubmit....the punchline wouldn't change, just the photo.

Bess said...

^good idea. i'm checking on it.

Anonymous said...

In reading todays entry along with the comments: I believe that the parents have the right to do as they wish. I would not care for anyone to tell me what to do with my child. As a child pyschologist I think there might be underlying issues also with both parties involved. However a important lesson learned is dont assume anything ever, and never meddle in the lives of children that are not yours (friend, family or stranger) you wouldn't want a person to mess with your children. One piece of advice is, don't let this ruin your family relationship, it is not worth it. As for the parents of the child, do not allow Kim to take any more photos of your child.

Anonymous said...

"One piece of advice is, don't let this ruin your family relationship, it is not worth it. As for the parents of the child, do not allow Kim to take any more photos of your child."

Really? So the next time they are at a family function, that's not gonna be awkward? You make it sound like Kim is some evil papparazzi. She's family, afterall, right?

Anonymous said...

Now, now, we don't want to burn bridges with a child psychologist....I'm thinking someone may need a reference in the future....

But really, you're right: what kind of family function would that be if a FAMILY member--also an aspiring photographer--is banned from taking photos. Doesn't seem to be a great way to solve deeper-seeded issues. Never mind the affect that will have on the kids involved. I guess psychologists have a right to self-produce some job security for themselves.

Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter is that this mother is being extremely hypocritical. She says her daughter's photo is something she considers private. Not true. It did not take much research to find her blog. Her baby's picture and full name are on this mother's blog, along with both of her parents' names and the city in which they live. The issue is obviously not that she's uncomfortable with her baby's picture being on a card. That is simply a cover-up to apparently a much deeper issue. It's hard to beleive this is among family.

I would have loved to have been on a hallmark card as a baby. That would have been so cool.

Kim, I'm sure there's a reason for all of this beyond our comprehension. You are so talented, you will have so many opportunities in the future that are 10 times better than this… and hopefully Missie won't be able to ruin it.

Erin A. said...

Missie.... BJ IS the police.

BJMAR13 said...

Well, Kimmy. I'm sorry, that post was just information and what I posted was true. The photo IS yours, but since our phone conversation I learned that CIVILLY Hallmark was requiring the mothers permission. I didn't know that the first time.

But for whoever says it's "Illegal" may want to have a talk with their city/county attorney. I don't think THAT Officer will have a long career if he thinks a photo of someone at a family gathering is proprietary.

Much love Kim
You'll get em next time!