Thursday, April 9, 2009

every silver lining has a cloud inside it

Hubs says I am a "glass half empty" kind of person. I totally disagree.

(Except that I occasionally tend to entertain thoughts that I'm going to die of cancer, get hit by a bus, end up on welfare, or lose all my hair. But that's only sometimes.)

Okay, I admit it! I tend to see the bad side of situations. I don't call it being negative, I call it being realistic. I believe in the "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" mentality.

Example:

Last year, we received a check in the mail for LOTS of money because we had been overpaying on our escrow or some grown up stuff I don't really understand.

My first thought was, "Holy heaven and earth. I have a brain tumor and this money is going to have to pay for it."

Hubs rolled his eyes and laughed at me, saying I was completely ridiculous.

AND WHAT HAPPENED?

We ended up owing LOTS of money to the IRS for taxes this year.

See? I'm not crazy.

I know that this is how life works. It has its ups and downs. Good happens, bad happens. Here's how I think of it:

If I'm expecting the worst, than the good will always seem that much better.

So, in a strange, twisted and completely incomprehensible way, I'm really an optimist.

Perhaps in the future, I'll just think the glass is half empty, but it's half empty of WINE, which means I'm partially buzzed and feeling warm and fuzzy.

Now that's the kind of outlook I can get behind.

6 comments:

drollgirl said...

i am like you! realistic! and i like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best! ;)

alissa said...

i dont know where i am! i like to think of myself as glass is half full. but i think i give off that vibe - like i only ever SAY things that are glass half fullish...but in the back of my head its totally half empty. but booyah for the filling it with wine and forgetting to pay attention to how full the glass is:)

ManoloChooLou said...

I'm the same way--I always expect the worse. I find that it's easier to live that way...less chance of disappointment. And I'm with you on the wine commment :)

Up Rooted said...

My father-in-law is that way he's very pesimistic about situations. He says then if the outcome is good he can be "pleasantly surprised"
I think I tend to go either way depending on the situation.

Kellie said...

I believe in what goes around comes around. Just like you, we received a good amount of money back last year for taxes. What happens not even a month later? My car takes a TOTAL shit on my and ends up costing us $3,000 to fix it. Good bye tax refund! Although I guess if it was going to happen it was good that it held out until we had the extra dough. So I'd say all around I'm a glass half full gal (since I can see the positive in that crap fest!) :)

Bess said...

I love your blog.