Thursday, April 2, 2009

from the "why the @#&$ didn't I think of that?" files

Apparently a sucker is born every minute. And I have failed to capitalize on this fact.

But one girl has figured out a way to do it. And I am jealous.

Every day (okay, not every day) when I sit down to write this blog, I wonder to myself, "What would I have to blog about to be as famous as Dooce?

(Dooce is a famous blogger. Like, so famous her name has that little TM logo or whatever. Seriously.)

There are lots of famous bloggers out there, but what I love most about Dooce is that she's just a regular woman. She got fired for blogging about her job (which is why you'll never find me mentioning any of my supervisor's or work counterparts by name) and had to find something else to do.

So she blogged.

And became famous.

Now you can find her all over the Internet with people lining up to lick her toes.

Which makes me think: WHY CAN'T I DO THAT?

(I have a point. Really. I'm getting there.)

Anyways, like I said, when I sit down to talk to you bloggies, I often think to myself, "What kind of a hook could I use to generate thousands of readers each day?"

Nine times out of ten I come up empty.

I inevitably come to the conclusion that all the really good ideas have been taken. Wedding blogs, fashion blogs, technology blogs, lack of technology blogs. It's all been done.

Woe is me.

Then today, I'm visiting my daily morning reads. Tova has blogged about a girl that has started her own blog.

This is it.

The blog has had over 1,000 visits, and she started it

FOUR

DAYS

AGO.

(It took me about 4 months to have that many hits.)

Apparently this young lady is broke and wants a nice wedding on a zip budget. So she's asking for people to donate some coinage for her nuptials via Pay Pal.

Normal? No.

Completely genius? Um....YEAH!

I mean, even if no one helps her out, she's got people reading her blog every minute, wondering what will happen next.

Will she get enough money? Will she get death threats? Will her fiance still love her if he finds out she's doing it?

Apparently people are even talking about it over on Martha Stewart's blog.

This, my friends, is the power of the Internet.

Trust me, some time in the next few weeks, MSN's web site will release a headline that reads "Girl Asks Internet Strangers to Fund Her Wedding".

(Right next to the announcement that Angelina Jolie has just adopted a small tribe of Aborigines that Brad is going to breast feed himself. Because he's that amazing.)

And while Little Miss 1,000 Hits in Four Days Girl laughs all the way to the bank, I will still be sitting here. Staring at my computer screen. Trying to think of a hook that brings them to my site in droves.

Until then, you just have to hear about my adventures in eavesdropping in public bathrooms.

2 comments:

alissa said...

a) i need to check out dooce. but im going to be honest and say that the first time i read it i thought 'douche'. maybe she shouldve thought harder about the name.
b)continuing in the honesty, here is my thought on the new blog: tacky. i mean to each their own...but really.
c)my final thought - you are fabulous and very fun.

alissa said...

also, still up for vintage shopping on saturday?