Tuesday, June 9, 2009

BlogSwap: The Alissa Edition

Hello Kim's gorgeous readers! How are you this lovely Tuesday?

I'm Alissa from Grace's Birdcage blog and I'm very excited about this BlogSwap (Kim's official term) but also nervous. Because you see, Kim's a freaking fabulous, funny writer. I'm fabulous at posting lots of pretty pictures with random ill-composed thoughts. But I want to make Kim proud and attempt to write.

"It's called reading, top to bottom, left to right, put words together to make a sentence." First paragraph and I've quoted Tommy Boy. So we're off to a good start?

I wanted to go along with the Awkward Tuesday/TMI Thursday el themo. The thing is, I'm not sure I get embarrassed easily enough.

There was:

-Time I could be spotted running down a car-filled stree at at 5:45 am in a schoolgirl's outfit.

- Time I was trying to climb a bunk-bed and my friend pulled my dress up over my head, revealing a nice choice of hot pink underwear to about 17 acquaintances/strangers.

-Time I got my hand stuck in an elevator door and almost crushed my bones ina panic vs. pressing the "door open" button like some might have done.

But, for whatever reason, I don't find these moments that embarrassing. I find the fact that I can't spell embarrassing far worse than most of those.

(Holy cow. Longest post I've ever written and we aren't even to the goods yet!)

OK. So what I find most embarrassing from college (which is where like, 98% of most embarrassing stories come from, no?) is a more than a single event, but more of a series..a series I like to call 'dating'.

Dating Embarrassment Numero Uno:

This is one of those situations that while you're dating this individual, things don't seem that 'off''. But later? Wow.

Numero Uno and I have been dating for a month or so. He lives in the basement of a house near campus he shares with like, 18 of his very closest friends. One of these friends convinces Uno to go in on a business venture with him. This business venture is to get paid by a pet shop to raise 'pets' from babies to a sellable age. Which could be cute if they were puppies or hamsters. A few days later, Uno's basement living space suddenly has a tank of eels in it. And piranhas. And some other weird fish. I'm not sure if you've ever had the pleasant experience of being around animals like this in a concrete air-tight basement, but I'm going to let you in on a secret: they smell.

Some time passes, and I'm getting frustrated by this situation. I mean, you go over to watch a movie with someone and you're sitting next to a tank. Of eels. This is not romantic, fellas. But the final straw was when the seven baby chickens arrived. Supposedly they were a 'special rare breed.' Bu the babies grew into full sized chickens. In Uno's bedroom. Really.



Don't worry, the relationship quickly ended.

I realize that you've probably lost some respect for my taste and judgment, but I promise you, things have drastically improved. I married tall, dark and handsome neat-freak that shares my dislike for animals in tanks.

****

There you have it, bloggies! The first official BlogSwap is complete.

Alissa's fabulous story will forever be remembered as the first in a long line of swaps.

(Or at least, here's hoping.)

I'd love to do a swap once a week or at least every two weeks, so if you would like to participate, just hit me up at kim {dot} antisdel {dot} gmail {dot} com.

Now leave some comment love and then head over to Alissa's blog and read my story.

(Once I get it up. I may or may not have opted to watch "He's Not That Into You" rather than write my entry last night. I'm on it right now, though!)

9 comments:

The Socialite said...

At least the guy seemed to be an animal lover?! haha ;)

drollgirl said...

mission accomplished!!! and well done!! that dude was a FREAK and i can only imagine what he is doing now!!!

Hanako66 said...

eeeek, glad that you got rid of him!

Aline said...

This is such a great idea to swap blogs really. I've discovered a great new blogger and I can say you are two damn good writers and made me both laugh with your embarrasing stories.Thanks for sharing such precious moments
xoxo
aline

Gabby said...

What a weirdo! You make me laugh!

LiLu said...

Yeah, that's taking the whole "a man and his dog is cute" thing wayyyyyyy too far. ;-)

Lady Jane said...

I would have been out of there in a nano second!

one little simitopian said...

I kinda like chickens >.<
But.....not in the house!!!!
Ah, we all have our shockers :D

alissa said...

har har har. check your reader at 12:08 tomorrow afternoon (i like to schedule my posts at very fabulous, random times).
its a letter to you.