Monday, April 12, 2010

take time to stop and mow the roses

Setting:  My parents' house- Sunday afternoon. 

Me: (picking through the Sunday ads at the kitchen table.) Ooh, Target has some good sales this week.

Hubs: I know, my V-neck t-shirts are on sale for $7.00.

Me:  (incredulous) I was thinking of a swimming suit for me, dear.

Hubs: (scoffs) If you can find a swimming suit for $7.00, go for it.

Me:  Whatever. Dad, your lawn looks really good.

Dad:  (admiring with pride) Well thanks, I spray it for dandlions all the time, it seems.

Me: (wrinkling nose) Ew. I hate dandilions.  They make your skin all yellow when you pick 'em up and rub them all over yourself.

Dad: Um.

Me: (quickly) Which I did when I was little. Not recently. Sheesh.

(silence)

Me:  So anyway. Hey Dad, Hubs and I were talking the other day about household jobs we hated when we were younger.  Did I ever have to mow the lawn when I was little?

Dad:  (looks up over newspaper ad) Did you ever mow the lawn?  Seriously?

Me: Well, I didn't think I did, I was just making sure. 

Mom:  No, you didn't.

Me:  I didn't think so either, but I think that's because- well, because, our lawn mower wasn't self-motivating, was it?

(crickets)

Dad:  Self motivating? You mean, self-PROPELLING?

Me: Um.

Hubs: (dying to jump in and contribute) Right, cuz I don't know many lawn mowers that wake up in the morning and say, 'I am SO motivated to get our there and get the grass cut today.'

Dad: (belly laughing) Hahahahaha! Right, wouldn't that be nice!

Mom: (joining in on my public stoning)Tee hee heee!  Oh how funny- a self-motivating lawn mower!  Maybe I can buy a self-motivating washer and dryer too! 

Me: (sulking) You all SO know what I meant.

*****

Three hours later.

*****

Dad:  (looking outside) Hey Kim, the dandilions are coming back out.  Did you want to go out to the garage and see if the mower is motivated to go take care of them?

Me:  I want to go home.

2 comments:

BJMAR13 said...

Did YOU ever have to mow the lawn?? Are you FRICKEN KIDDING ME?

Wendy said...

hahah I love it! The other day my brother was getting in trouble, and my mom said to him "Your ass is grass, and I'm the lawnmower!" and then dad chimes in and says "Yeah, when was the last time you mowed the lawn, get out there are BE THE LAWNMOWER!"

Neither our mower or my brother is very motivated it seems. Hehe.