Monday, June 7, 2010

hide and go speak

Social media - whether you like it or not- is taking over every aspect of our world. Facebook, Twitter, blogs, You Tube and Digg  are unavoidable, and more importantly, totally addictive.

(Trust me. I've screamed "I'm GETTING RID OF FACEBOOK TODAY!" approximately 5,493 times and I've yet to do it.)

The good news is, this technology allows millions of people to tell friends, family or even complete strangers the news of something as trivial as a potted plant dying, or as monumental as the birth of a first child. Friends are reunited, families stay in touch, and (hopefully single)long lost loves can reconnect. On the flip side, the entire world has the ability to share their feelings on these matters, invited or not. Social media puts the power of the press in the hands of individuals who have no business possessing it. And sometimes that totally sucks. 

We've all seen it.  Suzie Jones updates her Facebook page stating that she totally hearts her new Mac Book.  In turn, John Doe, a guy she vaguely remembers from a vodka-induced haze during spring break or 2002, comments immediately that super intelligent like "Mac Book sucks my big toe!".  This in turn springs forth a wild fire of enraged comments from Mac lovers world-wide. Feelings get hurt, insults are thrown, and soon Katie Couric is reporting on the PC/Mac war raging on Facebook.

As someone who shares a great deal of myself and my life with the online world, I'm very aware that I put myself out there to criticism for my posts.  A great deal of my audience are essentially strangers to me, and I'm totally down with that.  I never know who is reading what I write and I therefore generally try to keep my material in the self-deprecating category.  I share funny and embarrassing stories about myself, the audience laughs, and we all go about our business.  

And so far, it's worked. 

But then, a few days ago, I posted this. (If you haven't read it, go check it out and then come back.)

I generally receive one or two comments on my posts telling me that they're funny or made someone smile. And then I smile and blog again. 

Rinse, lather, repeat. 

However, for this particular post, I received a comment that went a little something like this:

Anonymous said...


Wowza your dumb

June 5, 2010 11:34 AM


Hold the effing phone.

I'm all for someone telling me that my story made them feel extra smart that day, or that they got a chuckle from my latest brain fart. But this? Puh-leeeeez.

Rather than drudge up a shit storm of negative comments back at my oh-so brave anonymous commentor, I'm just going to say this:

#1: If you're going to comment on a person's lack of intelligence, YOUR COMMENT HAD BETTER BE GRAMMATICALLY IMPECCABLE. You + are = you're. Go back to 4th grade.

#2: Posting anonymously means you're (see how I used the contraction?) a total cock-a-doodle doo. If you want to call me dumb, go for it, you have a right to your opinion. But don't be all Wizard of Oz man behind the curtain.  Own up to it and tell me to my (Internet) face. So then I can say something snarky back and we can fight this out like grown up two-year olds. 

So there...thppppppth.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

A) I love that you called him a cock-a-doodle-do! That made my day! :)

and B) You are not dumb in any way. I too believed everything that my parents told me and sometimes repeated it in public only to discover it was a joke. Like freshman year of high school when my dad told me to tell my Spanish teacher that the only useful phrase in Spanish was "Dos Cerveza por favor," which translates to "Two beers please." I got a week of detention for that one. My dad laughed.