Monday, October 18, 2010

'tis the season to be grumpy

Setting: Sitting at the breakfast table with our daughters and Hubs' Mom this weekend. Discussing Halloween.

Hubs' Mom: I haven't put up my Halloween decorations in a few years now that I think about it.

Me: (sidelong glance at Hubs) Yes, well...I'm not allowed to put up decorations at our house.

Hubs' Mom:  (eyebrows raise) Really?  Why not?

Hubs:  (scoffs)

Me: Because Hubs doesn't allow decorations.  He thinks they're tacky and ridiculous.

Hubs:  (shrugging shoulders) Well?  What do you expect me to say?  They are tacky.

Me:  Yeah, okay, I understand Halloween decor is pretty dumb. But forget Halloween.  You won't even let me buy cute CHRISTMAS decorations. And I don't even want the crazy stuff. It isn't like I want a gigantic nativity scene!

Hubs:  Yet.

Me:  (turning to Hubs' Mom) All I really want is a cool wreath to put on the door. 

Hubs: (chewing thoughtfully)  Christmas wreaths are a gateway decoration.

Me:  WHAT?

Hubs: (nodding heavily as he realizes the validity of his claim) Yeah, a gateway decoration.  It starts with a wreath, but then, next thing you know, you say, "OOH! I need to get these matching yard snowmen to go with them!" 

Me:  HA! I don't even LIKE yard snowmen.

Hubs:  Yet.

2 comments:

ScrappyJess said...

Lol! Tell him he's lucky he didn't marry me! I decorate everything! I have a wreath on all 3 doors!

Tracy said...

I need a new wreath...we can go wreath shopping together! It's your door too! :)