Thursday, November 18, 2010

Let's do some heavy petting....

I generally use this blog to recount stories of my somewhat checkered past, and that's all well and good. But every now and again, something comes up that takes precedence over everything...and today is one of those days.

The Pet Connection, one of the wonderful no-kill animal shelters in Kansas City announced they will be closing due to a lack of funding.  I have personally worked with this shelter over the last few years through my volunteer work with the International Interior Design Association (IIDA).  The architecture and design community in KC has donated much of their time and talents to this shelter, and I am saddened to hear that it will soon be gone.


But let's forget about what the humans have contributed.  130 animals need homes NOW.  Pet Connection is waiving all adoption fees and sending pets home with food, crates, etc as they prepare for the closing.


If you live in Kansas City, or know someone in the surrounding areas who lives nearby, please direct them to Pet Connection's website at: http://www.thepetconnection.net/

I don't want to be pushy but - yeah, I want to be pushy.  Adopting a pet from a shelter is one of the greatest gifts you can ever give to yourself and your family. You are saving an animal's life, and trust me, making your own better. There are so many amazing animals all over this country that don't need a piece of paper from a breeder to declare them special.  Each and every one of them is special in their own way, and they deserve a chance to live with a family who will give them the care they deserve.


Below I've posted a little story that I received in my inbox the other day.  When I read it, I naturally cried, and wished more people could realize the amazing benefits of adopting a pet from a shelter.  Now with the news of Pet Connection closing, I realize I have to reach out to help, even if it only saves one of the animals.


I've also posted pictures of my animal shelter kitties, Oreo and Cupcake.  A self-proclaimed dog lover, I was very leery of adopting a cat two years ago. Naturally, Hubs knows me better than anyone and assured me that now only would I love our cat, I would soon love every cat I came in contact with. Three months after we brought Cupcake home, we went right back to the shelter and picked up Oreo.  Now I can't imagine my life without these two amazing creatures.


Read the story below and please pass this blog entry on to anyone you know who might be thinking of adding a pet to their home.  Encourage them to check out local shelters before they go to a breeder.  


Thanks for tolerating my break in funny stories for a cause I truly believe in. Remember that when you adopt a pet, you save two lives.  The pet you adopt, and the pet who fills the spot of the animal you adopted.


 Oreo

Cupcake

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY
 

 Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.  I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.  I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.
 
As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.  I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today.  Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.
 
As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past.  I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life.
 
She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.  I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.  Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.
 
A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.  Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.  I would promise to keep her safe.  I would promise to always be by her side.  I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.  I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.  So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.  So many more to be saved.  At least I could save one.
 
I rescued a human today.


2 comments:

Emily Hidy said...

I LOVE the story, Kim! Muppet rescued us from the Humane Societn down here in Wichita! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.